October 1, 2014

First Taste of Boston

I’ve never visited Boston before. I wanted to do everything and go everywhere! So, my cousins decided to take me everywhere in the matter of 3 days. (Well 2 technically, I had a self-guided tour on day 3). So of course, I could only hope to look for food, drink, and anything with a history to it, so I began with a tour of Sam Adams Brewery.

(Voted one of the Top 10 Breweries in the US from USA Today)

If you drive too fast through the neighborhood, you’ll miss the building. Tucked away from the road is a brick house/factory/brewery surrounded by homes and apartments. 

The tours are free? Why yes please I would love one. After a minor wait and some hangout time with the littlest nugget, Avery. (I don’t think 9 month old babies are allowed inside).


She’s adorable and I’m in love with my newest cousin. I also wish my outfits were as on point as this little nugget.

Tour Time!

We were led into a big open space, accompanied with 3 barrels full of delicious flavors of barley, and the last barrel full of hops. 


We all got a handful of each barely, ranging from lightest to darkest, and was told to pop each flavor in our mouths. The tour group was a little apprehensive, but the taste was just like uncooked popcorn kernels. The lightest was the best tasting the darkest had a burned coffee – espresso bean flavor. *blegh*

But the best part came when we got a handful of hops and was told to smell and rub the hops between our hands, resulting in hops-confetti and the sweet smell radiating through the room.


We found out that this brewery only puts out kegs of their delicious beer AND we would get to sample some of the special flavors they had. 


LEAD ON, TOUR GUIDE, I’M READY!

 *trumpet noises play*



We were given little tasting glasses. Out giant group crowded around tables and bar tops while pitchers of delicious beer were passed around. We were given strict instructions to view, smell, observe, and discuss each beer before we could finally taste. 


First, we were to try the Boston Lager, which was delicious. It's a personal favorite. 

Second was the Summer Shandy (which was on the tail end because this was August after all), which tasted like a strange mix of lemonade and light beer. The Summer Shandy is possibly my new favorite summer beer. 

Finally, we tried my least favorite, but that’s really only because I don’t like IPAs. You guessed correctly; it was the Rebel IPA. So instead of finishing the glass I handed it to my cousin, and I sneakily finished off the Summer Shandy left in the table pitcher. 


As we were drinking our tour guide showed us THE coolest bottle, holding the most expensive beer they manufacture. In this little metal container is beer that is over $100 and 27% alcohol content per volume!! 


The bottle was passed around and we all sniffed the inside, (because sniffing empty bottles is totally normal) and the aroma smacked us in the face, like a strong awakening of our worst hangover.

We were kicked out for the next tour group, but we got to keep our glasses, which are sitting in my kitchen right now, and were able to tour around the gift shop. I love gift shops! Really, it’s a tiny schmorgasborg of trinkets and fun little things. Gift. Shop. Fiend. 


My cousin and I decided to try one of these gorgeous Belgian style beers and picked the “Tetravis:” flavored with molasses and dark fruits like figs and raisins. 


It sounds too healthy for beer but it was really delicious. They also offer the “American Kriek:” a cherry flavored wheat beer, and the “Thirteenth Hour:” offering chocolate and coffee flavors.



If you follow the links above, they'll take you to the Sam Adams webpage, where each beer is described. The website also suggests similar beers you could find at your grocery store or beer distributor

I loved this brewery tour. After taking an amazing tour in Bruge, I look for exciting new beer everywhere I go. If you have the chance, go to one! It’s always worth it to try new flavors and experience different cultures through a common beverage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment